Saturday 14 January 2017

Humans Are What We're Supposed To Be

It no longer is amusing
To leave my place and go for a walk
For not a single pair of eyes beam at me
Not even a single person talks

Joggers in trackpants, walking down the street
And fathers with their sons in the park, helping them ride on the swing
Couples at the ice-cream parlour, enjoying a little treat
But none of them approach, nobody greets,
And if they do, they're still looking at their feet

I don't know dad, this was not my idea of a city
I pictured happiness, but all I see is negativity
And for some reason it feels like it's known only to me
That at the end of the day, humans are what we're supposed to be

Say 'hello' to a lady and at you she will glare
Say 'hi' to a man and well, he doesn't care
Everybody prefers headphones over people
It makes this place feel so bland, so colorless, so dull!

The stout ones here are laughed at and mocked
And the disabled become the immediate laughing stock
While those who need help have their cries go unheard
Sympathy here, dad, is nothing more than a word.

I expected better, dad, this was not my idea of a city
Such despondent sights everywhere, such atrocities
It makes me feel like it's known only to me
That at the end of the day, humans are what we're supposed to be

All those faces i come across while I walk to my destination
Look as if carved out of crumpled expectations
Some look morose, some seem to be filled with regret
With their eyes radiating feelings impossible to be expressed in alphabet

They look scared and anxious, hopeless of life itself
Depressed of the reality - that it is never going to change
That the rest of their existence will be spent like this
That what they want for themselves and their children - will always stay out of range

And nobody lends a helping hand - 'tis a shame - neither do I
I observe, but I never act, and dad I often ask myself why
Why did I let this city change me? Why did I let truth be replaced with lies?
Why did I let them affect my nature - something that was once so nice?

Yes, father, I have changed, and when I come back you might not be proud of me
The present I am in, was a future I could never forsee
Never did I imagine I'll forget it myself
That at the end of the day, humans are what we're supposed to be

0 comments:

Post a Comment